Can I Modify My Child Custody Arrangement Without Going To Court?

Can I Modify My Child Custody Arrangement Without Going To Court?

Most of the time, after a divorce, both parents want what’s best for their kids. Arrangements for custody are often made with this in mind. People’s jobs, homes, and other priorities may change over time, and their situations may change as well. When this happens, you may need to change the way you share custody of your kids.


People often wonder if they can change who has custody of their children without going to court. The answer is that it is possible, but there are some rules that must be followed, and the court will still have to agree to the changes.

How To Make Changes To A Kentucky Child Custody Plan

In Kentucky, both parents must agree to the changes and sign a document called a motion for the arrangement to be changed without going to court. The next step is to send this motion to the court so that it can be approved.


Here’s a quick look at what needs to be done:


  1. The other parent and you must both agree to the changes. If you can’t find a way to work things out, you’ll have to go back to court.
  2. The changes have to be in the child’s best interest.
  3. There must be a big difference. Unless you’ve moved far away, a change in your work schedule or a new address isn’t enough.
  4. You must write to the other parent about the changes you want to make.
  5. The other parent must sign off on the changes if they agree with them.

If the parents can’t figure out what to do on their own, they may go to mediation. Mediation is a process in which a neutral third party (the mediator) helps the parents talk about their differences and agree on a new way to share custody of their children.


Parents could also hire lawyers to help them negotiate with the other parent outside of court. Once a deal is made, the lawyers will write up the agreement and send it to the court.

Changes To A Child Custody Agreement In Kentucky And Why

One of the most common reasons to change a child custody arrangement is a big change in the child’s or parent’s situation. For instance, if the parent who has custody gets remarried or loses their job, this could be a reason to change the arrangement. You might also want to think about moving to a new house or city, changing your work schedule, and so on.


The child’s needs have changed is another common reason for making changes. For example, if the child is now old enough to go to school and used to live part-time with a parent who doesn’t have custody, the custody arrangement may need to be changed so that the child has stability during the school week. Or, if the child has special needs or health problems, this could also be a reason for a change.


A change may also be possible if either parent’s ability to be a good parent has changed. For example, if the parent who has custody starts abusing drugs or is found guilty of a crime, this could be a reason to change the custody arrangement. Also, if the non-custodial parent has made big changes in their life, like getting sober or finishing drug treatment, this could also be a reason for a change.

Get In Touch With A Kentucky Family Law Attorney In McCracken County Today

Your relationship with your child is the most important thing in your life. If your life or the life of the other parent of your child has changed, you may be able to change the way you share custody of your child. Depending on your situation, you might also be able to do that without going to court. Get in touch with Arons & Solomon Divorce Lawyers right away to get help from people you can trust.


Contact the family lawyers at Paducah Divorce Lawyers today if you need legal help. Visit our law office in McCracken County or give us a call at (270) 201-7776 to set up a free consultation with our team.